The company gives considerable emphasis to the conservation and protection of the environment. This involves prevention of all kinds of pollution and ensuring compliance with applicable environmental regulations at sea, as well as ashore.
The company strives for zero spillage resulting in pollution prevention and reduction of identified environmental impacts.
The conservation and protection of the environment comes primarily from raising personnel awareness and consciousness. It furthermore encourages always having a positive attitude towards this goal and without compromising the protecton of personnel at all levels of the company. These actions are a clear indication of the top management's committment to continuous improvement and pollution prevention.
The company’s environmental policy includes:
- Energy Conservation
- Pollution Prevention
- Waste Reduction
- Minimizing usage of resources
Through normal activities and operations, the company ensures compliance with all legal requirements and any other applicable requirements relating to environmental aspects.
The company conducts reviews of its Environmental Aspects and objectives on a regular basis and communicates the results to all company employees to provide a clear understanding to which extent the company's environmental goals have been realised.
The company's Environmental Policy is communicated to subcontractors and partners.
The management's responsibility is to offer quality services that are in accordance with applicable national and international regulations and satisfy the customer's quality standard requirements.
For meeting this task, the following considerations were made:
- Human life may not be put at risk
- The environment is mankinds greatest asset
- The requirements and expectations of the customer must be met
- The services offered on the market must be competitive to competitors' services and this is only possible if the service is not only based on efficiency but also on quality
- The majority of charterers/shippers request a certified Quality and Safety Management System
As a result of the above the company has implemented a Quality and Safety Management System that incorporates all of the above considerations in its procedures with the primary concern being safety of life. Subsequently, all services provided to be in accordance with the company's stipulated safety & quality procedures.
The company reserves the right to modify certain procedures as laid down in the manuals in order to meet charterers / owners instructions or requirements, without jeopardizing safety.
Safety and reliability are direct characteristics of quality. The company, among other things, emphasizes safeguarding and promoting the following:
- Protection of human life
- Environmental Protection in compliance with IMO / ILO or other national / international regulations / legislations
- Seaworthiness of its fleet / vessels in accordance with the applicable flag / Class / International / National regulations
- Competence of its employees in accordance with STCW (for crewmembers) or other applicable national/international requirements for office employees
- Co-operation of all employees towards creating a safe environment both on the ships and in the office and continual improvement of the company's quality services
The company places the highest emphasis on the safe operation of each ship and the safety of the personnel.
It has the responsibility to implement and maintain its safety policy and monitor the safety of the ship's operation and of their shore based and ship board personnel, which shall include:
- Briefing of staff on the company's quality policies, the understanding and acknowledgement of it
- Investigation of personal accidents and reporting of the circumstances and findings
- Evaluating reports of near misses and taking corrective actions
- Evaluating reports of significant safety deficiencies or defects which cannot be rectified by ship's staff and taking steps to rectify them
- Conducting safety inspections at scheduled intervals and to record and report the results of these inspections
- Verification of compliance with company procedures as well as national/international standards and requirements
Any deviation from company procedures must be brought to the attention of the designated person by means of a Non-Conformance Report (NCR) which is provided onboard and ashore.
Any raised NCR is corrected within an agreed time limit and is discussed in regular Safety Meetings. The corrective action and time limit for closing out a NCR depends on the urgency of each case.
Based on the results of NCRs, Near Misses, accidents and inspectin reports, the management will assess if the Safety and Health Policy remains effective or requires amendment.
The management will make recommendations based on these findings which have to be implemented and followed-up until closed out.
The actions taken for closing out any recommendation or deviation has to be detailed and recorded.
The company considers the personnel employed both ashore and at sea, as its most important asset.
The company aims to provide customers with the best quality services without jeopardizing the safety of its personnel. In order to achieve this task, the company acknowledges the importance of providing all personnel with the necessary training for improving their knowledge, skills and expertise.
Training of seafarers is done both ashore and onboard the vessels. Ashore, training is provided at the company's training centre in Manila / Philippines, which employs highly skilled ex-seagoing Captains and Chief Engineers and provides upgrading and other customized courses for seafarers.
Training needs of all company personnel is identified during inspections (internal / external audits), by Port State Control (PSC) / Flag State inspections (FSI) recommendations and by national/international requirements that may come into force.
For onboard training the company provides the following training material:
- The ISF Deck and Engine cadet training book
- Hartmann E-learning onboard library
- Videotel Library
- A library for training purposes with a variety of publications
- Marlins "English for Seafarers" study pack 1
The company encourages all seafarers to expand their knowledge and skills and all Captains and senior officers should encourage seafarers with this task.
Personnel progress is monitored and evaluated and based on the results of the evaluation, individuals may be rewarded for their efforts by promotion, in due time.
In addition to the internal / external audits menioned above, shore personnel training needs are also identified by the respective department head and are discussed during the company's Management Meeting. Once the training needs are identified, the training options will be assessed by the management and the most appropriate training will be selected and provided.
The company's management fully supports and acknowledges personnel efforts for improvement and commits to rewarding the personnel who strive for the wellbeing of the company.